Tuesday 26 August 2014

Derivatives: Weapons of Mass Destruction or Absolute Necessities

When I was first introduced to the concept of derivatives a few years ago the idea excited me. I got to work immediately on finding out more about these financial creatures of wealth creation. It felt as if I was in speculators heaven. I could take a position on the market both ways and not have to tie up all my money doing it.  What could ever go wrong?

 Type in the words “derivative trading” and you'll be mesmerized at the amount of brokers offering to open an account for you. But one thing still evades me; do novice traders truly understand how derivatives work?  

To answer that question I’m going to share with you my first experience with derivatives. I was in my final year of varsity when I stumbled upon an investor’s newsletter advertising a “secret” very few knew about.  Still fresh in the game I was instantly interested and read on further. All I had to do was subscribe to a monthly service where a professional trader would send me a buy or a sell signal, what could be more difficult? But wait…there’s more. Not only was I going to receive monthly stock tips but I would receive a free guide, that’s right, a guide that if I spent reading for a few hours was going to solve all my financial problems.

Being the inquisitive person I am I had taken to search engines to see how true these claims were and clearly they weren't far from the truth.  I had broker after broker telling me how I could cash in on this new phenomenon. “Make $2000 from $500 in just 3 weeks” or “It’s so easy and painless, one click away from your financial freedom” and my personal favourite “I had never been involved in financial markets but today I’m earning a living from it”.

I thought I better try this out and see for myself and signed up for a free 14 day trial. My demo trading began within a few minutes of registration. Wow! Life was fast when it came to trading. Buying and selling at galactic speeds with some winning and others dead losers.  I had no idea what the contract specifications represented, all I knew is that large sums of money were going in and out at rapid pace. Something still puzzled me at the time, yes money was coming in but could this be sustainable?

My interest tapered down after my trial period had ended. I had seen a module in my varsity course which offered an introduction to derivatives. I immediately thought it would be a great idea to unpack the concepts and was almost certain that it would unlock the “secret” that had escaped me thus far.  This is when it hit me in the face like a ton of bricks.

Going through the work wasn't easy at all; it involved financial mathematics and complex equations.  It went into detail about the type of contracts you get, how they are used, who uses them mostly, why they were created, on which securities you can use them on and so on. It was recommended by the university to spend at least 120 notional hours on the module, I ended doing 200 hours.  But I can confidently say that those 200 hours were the best amount of time I have ever spent on really understanding how things work.

If I hadn't taken that module I would be none the wiser to the complexities involved in derivatives. It heightened my awareness to the possibilities derivatives held both positive and negative.  It also made me sit up and think about the people who don’t have any financial literacy or expertise; how lucky I was to have been afforded the opportunity to learn about these mechanisms which so few know about.

To answer the question I posed earlier on I would say no, I don't believe all traders fully understand how derivatives works which is why I have set out on raising awareness to as many traders as possible so that their fate does not end up the same as the fate of traders gone bust.  The reality of trading is that for a trader to ensure his long term success they need to fully understand every aspect of their trading process and that includes the tools and products they work with.

Derivatives are essential tools in trading. They effectively lower the barrier to entry into trading by borrowing exposure at a fraction of its full value which makes it a very attractive proposition to many.  Although the capital required has been lowered, we should not forget that the time and experience needed to succeed far outstrips any amount of money contributed to the trading journey.

The real risk with derivatives comes from the trader who is unaware of its potentially destructive ability to erode his account to zero in a short span of time.  The leverage which is offered is most often misunderstood which leaves the trader in an overexposed position and vulnerable to the turbulent market conditions often experienced.
 
This is why it is imperative that when you wish to start trading you equip your mind with enough knowledge and conceptual understanding of the nature of derivatives, paying particular attention to the leverage.  Accept that although your broker is able to provide you gearing of up to 20 times in some instances, it does not necessarily mean you need to fully subscribe your capital to it. It’s important to remember that derivatives will always be around, they have been for many years but your trading capital won’t if you don’t employ responsible risk management principles.
    

 Finally, no trade is worth the money if it makes you lie awake at night. Trading can be a very stressful task which is exacerbated when a trader tries to test his courage with a higher than usual position. It doesn't make you a better trader competing against the market, rather respect it and leave the bravado at the front door.  

If you would like to contact me you can through my email at cadetrader@gmail.com or if you wish to follow me on twitter and get the latest updates of news, interesting commentary and general trends in the market, my twitter handle is @CadeTradeR if you follow this link it’ll take you directly to my twitter timeline: https://twitter.com/CadeTradeR 

No comments :

Post a Comment